LumiNova® is a phosphorescent (glow-in-the-dark) pigment which is based on Strontium Oxide Aluminate chemistry. They are drastically different from conventional phosphorescent pigments which are either based on Zinc Sulfide or on radioisotopes for their self-luminous properties.
LumiNova® was invented and developed by NEMOTO & CO. LTD., of Tokyo, Japan. Nemoto has been in the luminous pigments business since 1941 and is one of the leading phosphorescent pigments manufacturers in the world. The development of LumiNova® resulted from the demands placed upon NEMOTO & CO. LTD., by the Japanese watch and clock manufacturers which did not want to use radioactive luminous dials in their products. This challenge created LumiNova® !
LumiNova® which glows practically all night long without the aid of any radioactive substances was chosen as Most Innovative Product in Japan in 1993 !
Features of LumiNova®
- Afterglow period of ten times current ZnS based phosphorescent pigments
- Activation by a wide wavelength band (200-470nm)
*Best results are obtained with an activation energy under 365 nm
- Initial afterglow brightness of up to ten times of current radio luminescent and photo luminescent pigments
- Increase in luminescence and afterglow with longer activation time
- Excellent weather and light fastness
- Free of radioactive substance
* “LumiNova®” is a registered trademark of NEMOTO & CO., LTD.
Applications of LumiNova®
LumiNova® was originally developed to satisfy the current and future needs of the clock, watch and the instrument dial industries, but soon it was found out that like many other new products, the application possibilities are almost limitless.
The following applications are those that come to mind immediately:
Electronic instrument dial pads; Home appliances; Lighting apparatus and switches; Exit sign boards; Emergency signage and low level lighting escape systems; Aircraft and automobile dials and instrument panels; Firemen’ s equipment; Traffic signs & high visibility signs ; Fishing equipment; Military applications; Outdoor path marking; Camping equipment; Textile printing and
textile fibers; Writing & printing inks;
Other applications where a long afterglow and/or light fastness is needed.
Track Records of Prizes Awarded to Luminous Pigments LumiNova®
- February 1994 – Awarded 1993 The Nikkei Grand Prize for an excellent product and service category
- November 1995 – Awarded New Business Grand Prix and Sector Merit Prize of Japan New Business Conferences
- March 1996 – Awarded Okochi Memorial Technology Prize of Okochi Memorial Foundation
- March 1997 – Awarded Electrochemical Society Technology Prize and Tanahashi Prize of the Electrochemical Society of Japan